In this blog post I will outline some basic information on the base chakra, provide some information on how a blocked or unbalanced base chakra effect our physical body and a meditation exercise for the base chakra.
Infomation on the Base Chakra
The base chakra is the first of the seven major chakras, located at the base of the spine, common alternative names for the base chakra are Root chakra and Muladhara.
The base chakra is associated with the element Earth and is picturized as four lotus petals and a blood red colour.
During meditation, the base chakra is important for anchoring us to the Earth, we visualize roots starting from the base chakra and extending into the earth, this is important for grounding our bodies with the earth so we can transfer energies between ourselves and the Earth. With our roots extended into the earth our body attunes with the Earths vibrations, this allows us to transfer any toxic or negative energies that our chakras and aura cannot process.
When the base chakra is blocked and not working effectively negative emotions and energies can manifest themselves, these can be negative thoughts and feelings about our body issue, or the feeling of losing control of our life. Other effects can include the compulsion to overeat and hoard material objects and money, A balanced base chakra will take us back to our instinctual needs of shelter and food to survive removing the negative compulsions.
Meditation Exercise for the Base Chakra
The following crystals are excellent for use with the base chakra.
- Fire Agate
- Graphic Smokey Quartz
- Menalite, Pink Tourmaline
- Red Calcite, Red Jasper
- Smokey Quartz.
Meditation exercise for the base chakra
- Ensure you will not be disturbed for at least 30 minutes.
- Choose a comfortable position sat upright in a chair, cross-legged on the floor or lay down comfortably.
- Using a cleansed crystal appropriate for the base chakra, you can either use one crystal or three crystals. Place one piece at the base of your spine and hold the other 2 pieces in your hands if you choose to use 3 crystals.
- Close your eyes and begin to breathe deeply, do this until you feel relaxed.
- Be aware of the ground beneath you, and start visualizing roots starting from the base chakra, spreading down the legs and out through the soles of the feet.
- Feel the roots spreading into the Earth, taking hold and rooting you to the Earth. Visualize the Earths energies being drawn up through the roots.
- Focus on the base of your spine, feel the earth energies surrounding the chakra.
- Visualize a closed blood red flower surrounded by the earths energies, slowly see the flower opening with its four petals.
- Hold this image for a while reflecting on the feeling of energy flowing from the Earth through the roots, into your base chakra and the energy flowing from your chakra down your roots into the earth.
- When you are ready start letting go of your visualization hold the image of the open flower while your roots and begin to remove from the earth back up your legs and into your chakra.
- Slowly open your eyes, slowly stand or sit up, stretch your body out.